Residency Appeals for State Financial Aid Eligibility

To be eligible for state aid scholarship and grant programs, applicants must have been a resident of West Virginia for at least one year prior to applying for the program. The residency of students determined to be dependents of their parents for financial aid purposes is based on the residency of the parent listed on the FAFSA.

If you believe your residency determination based on your application (state aid application or FAFSA) is an error or you believe your residency should be based on your status alone and independent of your parent’s residency, you may appeal.

To appeal, you must first complete the Residency Appeal Request Form by clicking the REQUEST APPEAL button below. After completing the electronic form, you will receive an email with a link/button to complete the Residency Appeal Form. You must upload acceptable documentation to the electronic appeal before submitting. Review the documents list to the right (or below on a mobile device) before completing the appeal. Collect all documentation in electronic form before completing the appeal.

You will be notified of the appeal decision or if additional documentation is required by email.

Please contact the office at wvfinancialaid@wvhepc.edu or 304-558-4618 with questions or concerns.


You are required to provide two documents from list A. If not able, you must provide one document from list A and two documents from list B.


  • Valid West Virginia State-Issued Identification: such as WV Driver’s License or WV Identification Card
  • Recent West Virginia Personal Property Taxes Receipt
  • Recent West Virginia Tax Return Transcript
  • Valid West Virginia Vehicle Registration
  • History of Utilities (Gas, Electric, Water, Sewer, etc) or Current Utility Bill and Utility Bill dated 12 months previous (including: name and address for student)


  • Statement of Public Assistance for last 12 months to a West Virginia Address.
  • Mortgage payments for home in West Virginia.
  • Statement of Homeowner’s insurance/Renter’s Insurance
  • Employment records, W2s (Showing current WV address)

Supplemental Documentation (these items will not qualify as required
documentation) but may be provided to support your appeal:

  • Letters on valid letterhead
  • Lease Agreements
  • Bank Statements