Students demonstrating financial need who are enrolled in an approved program may receive the cost of the program up to $2,000 towards tuition, required testing and required supplies not covered by other scholarships and/or grants. Students enrolled in multiple approved programs for a single academic year can receive a cumulative maximum of $2,000 for all programs.
Recipients will be selected each year based on the applicant’s eligibility and the availability of funds. Funds are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Students will be made aware of their award through their institution.
Awards are contingent upon annual funding of the program by the West Virginia State Legislature.
Eligible programs for funding reimbursement are non-credit skill upgrade programs that complement West Virginia Development Office initiatives for targeted industries or targeted employers, promote job creation or retention, or assist in developing skills for new economy jobs or high-performance workplaces. The West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education, with input from the West Virginia Development Office, annually sets programmatic funding priorities.
Review the list of HEAPS Workforce Eligible Programs by institution.
- A West Virginia resident for at least 12 months prior to date of application
- A citizen or a permanent resident of the United States
- Submit the HEAPS Workforce Development application
- Demonstrate financial need as verified through submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Have a high school diploma, TASC (former GED) or high school equivalent
- Not be in default on a federal student loan
- Not be incarcerated in a correctional facility
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment in post-secondary certificate, industry recognized credential or other skill development programs of study
Because this grant is specifically targeted for programs lasting less than 12 months, students cannot be awarded the grant for the same course more than once.