Service Obligation Information for All Disciplines
The service obligation is either two years of full-time (a minimum of 40 hours per week) or four years of half-time (a minimum of 20 hours per week) employment at an eligible practice site. All service sites must be within West Virginia. Participants are responsible for securing a practice site within six months of completing their training. Ineligible service obligation sites include emergency rooms (except for Emergency Medicine trained physicians), hospital inpatient positions, and walk-in clinics.
The penalty for not fulfilling the service obligation is repayment of the award with 15 percent interest. Interest begins accruing from the date of default if training or the service obligation is not completed.
For information on what services sites qualify for each discipline, please see the Eligible Sites for Health Sciences Service Program Service Obligations PDF below.
Discipline Specific Eligible Sites for Service Obligation:
Service sites vary by profession. Please use the documents listed below in consultation with the Eligible Sites for Health Sciences Service Program Service Obligation in locating an eligible service site:
- Comprehensive Behavioral Health Programs
- State Acute-Care Psychiatric Hospitals
- Veterans Health Facilities
- Service Obligation Handbook for Dental Health Discipline
- Service Obligation Handbook for Behavioral and Mental Health Disciplines
- Service Obligation Handbook for Primary Care and all other Disciplines