For students enrolled part time at a public college or university, the maximum grant is based on the actual per credit hour tuition and required fees charged. For students enrolled part time at other eligible institutions, the award is based upon the average per credit hour tuition and required fees charged by public undergraduate institutions of higher education. Total aid, including a HEAPS award, may not exceed the recipient’s total cost of education.
Recipients are selected each year by institutions based on the student’s eligibility and the availability of funds. Students will be made aware of their award through their institution.
Awards are contingent upon annual funding of the program by the West Virginia State Legislature.
Community colleges, state colleges or universities, and independent colleges or universities in West Virginia. Review the list of HEAPS Grant Eligible Institutions.
- A West Virginia resident for at least 12 months prior to applying
- Citizen or a permanent resident of the United States
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at StudentAid.gov/FAFSA
- Have a high school diploma, TASC (formerly GED) or high school equivalent
- Demonstrate financial need as verified through submission of the FAFSA;
- Not be in default on a higher education loan
- Not incarcerated in a correctional facility
HEAPS grant award can be renewed until the program of study is completed but cannot exceed an additional nine years beyond the first year of the award. Renewal consideration will be based on meeting satisfactory academic progress, filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), demonstrating financial need and completing an institutional application.