Use this page to find answers to the most common questions people are asking about WVSAM. If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, contact our office!
WVSAM Frequently Asked Questions
- Who needs to create a WVSAM Account? Current high schools seniors, current college students, and others who want to apply for state financial aid for college.
- Do parents need to create a WVSAM Account? No, only students should create an account.
- How do I create a WVSAM Account? Go to the WVSAM web page and click Sign up. Enter your first name, last name, and your email address (use an email you will have long-time access to). A box will appear requesting contact and demographic information; you must complete all required fields. Then look for an email with the subject “Welcome to Sam” and click the link to set up your password. You must set up a password to complete the registration process and sign in.
- I can’t find the Welcome to Sam email. Check your junk or spam folder.
- Why can’t I click the link in the email? If the email is in your junk or spam folder, you must move it to your inbox to activate the link so you can click it and finish setting up your account. (Do not copy and paste the link as it will not work until moved to your inbox.)
- How do I change or update my contact information? Click your name under My Contact Information after logging into your account. Then click the Update My Contact Information button in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Complete all required fields or update your information and click Save.
- Why does it error when submitting my contact information? Do not put any dashes or parenthesis when entering your telephone number. Just enter the 10 digit number.
- Why does it ask me to grant permission when entering my contact information? Protecting your information is important and we will not share your information unless you grant permission.
- How do I submit an application? After logging into you WVSAM Account, scroll down to the My Applications section and click New. Then select the application you want to complete, click Next then complete all fields of the application and hit Submit.
- Why is the application I want not listed? Each program has a different application window. You can find the specifics about each program by clicking Programs at the top of this page then selecting the program for which you want more information.
- Why can’t I submit the application? Before submitting an application the first time, you must complete your full contact information by clicking your name under My Contact Information then clicking Update My Contact Information and completing all fields. If you have done that, make sure you have completed all fields on the application. If you continue having problems, please contact our office.
- Why won’t my academic program show? You must type at least 4 letters of your actual academic program name for it to show in the lists to select from. If you are typing it in correctly and it is not appearing, it may not be an eligible academic program for the scholarship/grant you are applying for. You can review the eligible programs for WV STEM and eligible programs for WV Invests on this web site. For HEAPS Workforce, you should check with the financial aid office at your institution or contact our office to verify your program is eligible.
- How do I edit my application? After logging into your WVSAM Account, scroll down to My Applications and click the confirmation number of the application you want to edit. Then click the Edit button on the right side of your application. Make your edits then hit Save.
- Why can’t I update my application? There is a point when you can no longer make changes to your applications through WVSAM and must contact the office to make changes. Click the Contact Us button while logged into WVSAM to send an email requesting the changes be made.
If you have questions and can’t find the answer here, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling the office during business hours (M-F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) at 304-558-4618.
Check out tutorial videos under Resources.