To apply for the HEAPS Grant, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which becomes available October 1 each year, then contact your institution’s financial aid office for the HEAPS Grant application and other requirement information.

For students who are unable to or having difficulty completing the 2024-2025 FAFSA, Gov. Justice has suspended the FAFSA requirement for the Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student (HEAPS) Grant for the 2024-25 academic year.

If a student completed a 2023-24 FAFSA and qualifies for HEAPS, they will receive the award for the fall 2024 semester. If they don’t have a 2023-24 FAFSA on file but are eligible for one of the following programs through the West Virginia Department of Human Services (DoHS or West Virginia Department of Health (DH), they can show their Department eligibility letter to their higher education institution’s financial aid office to receive the HEAPS grant:


  • SNAP
  • TANF
  • Medicaid
  • CHIP
  • Child Care Subsidy Program


  • WIC

If a student or their family needs a replacement DoHS or DH eligibility letter, they can call 877-716-1212 to request a new one.

Students must still meet all eligiblity requirements to qualify to receive the award.